PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILMING POLICY
Adopted by Library Board 02-20-2020
It is the policy of the Mount Horeb Public Library to permit filming and photography under the conditions described herein only to the extent that it does not interfere with the operations, programs and activities of the Library, and is consistent with the Library's policies.
Filming and photography are hereby authorized in Library facilities as follows:
- Classes or events sponsored by the Mount Horeb Public Library (MHPL) may be photographed or video-recorded by the Library’s staff or its representatives. Attendance at an MHPL-sponsored class or event constitutes the consent of all attendees, and the consent of the parents or legal guardians of any minor children in attendance, to the future broadcast, publication, or other use of photographs or videos at the sole discretion of the Mount Horeb Public Library. Notice will also be posted near the library entrance stating as such.
- Casual amateur photography, filming, and videotaping is permitted in the Library for patrons and visitors, provided that the photography does not interfere in any way with Library operations or capture any identifiable likenesses of individuals without their permission. Any such photographers are responsible for arranging all necessary releases and permissions from persons who are filmed or photographed. In no circumstances may anyone take a photo or film a Library patron without the consent of the patron, or their parent/guardian, if a minor.
- The Library shall grant access and permission to any media photographer or videographer who is recording a news story that directly involves the Library and its programs provided that notice is given to Library staff and all Library policies are observed. Library users (and staff) are free to decline an interview or refer media to the Library Director.
- The Library may utilize photos and videos from public programs and events at Library facilities and Library spaces on its website, social media, and in Library publications. Photos, images, and videos submitted to the Library by users for online galleries or contests may also be used by the Library for promotional purposes. To ensure the privacy of all individuals, including children, images will not be identified using full names or personal identifying information without written approval from the photographed subject, parent or legal guardian.
- Any consent granted pursuant to this Policy to permit photography or filming may be revoked at any time upon failure to comply with terms of the Policy or other policies of the Library.
The Library accepts no liability for the use of photos or film resulting from the activity of any other person not under the direct supervision of the Mount Horeb Public Library. Note that any persons filming or photographing on Library premises have the sole responsibility for gaining all necessary releases and permission from persons who are filmed, photographed or imaged. Further, the photographer or videographer is solely responsible for ensuring that no copyright infringement occurs while conducting his or her activity. The Library undertakes no responsibility for obtaining such releases.
Rights of the Library
The Library reserves the right to enforce all above provisions at its sole discretion. The Library’s first priority is fulfilling the mission and policies of MHPL, and as such has the right to terminate the activities of any person which it feels in its sole discretion are inconsistent with the mission or other policies. All staff of MHPL are authorized to terminate any photography, filming or imaging which appears to compromise the safety, security and enjoyment of its patrons.